"Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!" at beginning of FC2 install

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 22 01:20:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 01:33:13PM -0700, JBS wrote:

> I got a kernel panic at the start of my first install
> of FC2.

> Call Trace:
> [<c01aa473>] acpi_ns_one_complete_parse+0x6b/0x7b
> [<c032ce1c>] acpi_init+0x62/0xb4
> [<c0320659>] do_initcalls+0x49/0x97
> [<c010029e>] init+0x0/0xe2
> Any suggestions?

For now turn acpi off both in your bios
and the grub boot line (acpi=off).

Also check the vendor's web pages for a BIOS update that might correct
any bugs in the acpi code of the BIOS.

ACPI - Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
       http://www.acpi.info/

Some acpi BIOS bugs can be worked around in the OS.
Some acpi bugs in Linux may also exist ;-)

i.e. once you have FC2 loaded it may be possible to turn
it back on so buttons and stuff work.

Make sure to file a bugzilla with the content of your
original post (Plus BIOS version info) and the power
management function settings in your BIOS.

If you want you can toggle through each and see if
the problem is only associated with disk, display, default, etc.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l