Subject: Re: Fedora Core 2 - review.

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sat May 22 02:39:40 UTC 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:27:23 -0500
Mark S Jones <msjones773 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Mark,

> I am a windows user for many years and have recently explored Linux. I installed Fedora core 1 as a dual boot and am very impressed with it. I have almost gotten it to work the way I do with Windows and have considered using it as my main OS. Then, along came Fedora core 2 and all of the problems people have encountered dual booting with Windows and with the various software and license issues, etc. I have been reading this List for sometime and must say that I am very disappointed with the responses given to Windows users that are encountering problems with core 2 or are comparing it to their experience with Windows.

What is the dual boot problem you are having?   A fix has been found.
Future versions won't even require the fix.    What software licence issues
are you having?    What is the problem you want to address?  If you
want something fixed you have a responsibility to make a helpful
bug report and help test fixes.

> Why should a response like this even be necessary? Linux is different than Windows period, Unfortunately for the Linux community, 90% of the world runs Windows. So if you want to really promote Fedora to a major segment of computer users, you will have to help Windows users with their problems they encounter with a new operating system, instead of offering sarcasm. Or, maybe we will use Mandrake. =)

The mission statement for Fedora does not include anything about
being for the major segment of computer users.   Please read
http://fedora.redhat.com.   You have to understand what Fedora
is all about or you'll continue to wonder why things don't work
as you seem to expect.   Fedora is about new technology and being
on the leading edge.   There are a set of costs and benefits that
come along with that position.   If it's not where you want to be,
the freedom provided by Linux gives you lots of options.

Cheers,
Sean

P.S.   Please fix your email client to terminate lines at 72 characters.