compatibility between repositories

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sat May 22 16:33:47 UTC 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004 17:17:35 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Sa, den 22.05.2004 schrieb Gustavo Matheus Rahal um 17:05:
>
> > Can I use all the FC2 repositories together?:
> > - fedora.us
> > - freshrpms
> > - livna
> > - dag
> > - atrpms
> > - dries
> > - newsrpms
>
> That are (nearly) all repositories! I hardly doubt they work together
> without any conflicts. Numerous posts about problems combining
> fedora.us/livna.org and freshrpms on FC1.
>
> I would suggest to be more selective with the repository choice.

Conflicts result in obvious problems such as packages refusing to
install.

More of a problem are potential incompatibilities which can result in
run-time issues, such as (but not limited to) libraries being built with
a different feature set, different optimizations (maybe less tested
compiler flags), different package content (different ownership if
files/directories) and packages upgrading eachother (or even upgrading
packages from Fedora Core). That can result in an installed set of
packages which is completely untested and hence unsupported.