SOLVED Re: FC2 Dovecot help?

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Sat May 22 19:54:49 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <shrek-m at gmx.de>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2004 12:41 PM
Subject: Re: FC2 Dovecot help?

> >The dovecot.conf file implies it will probably work "right out of the
box".
> >When I try to connect to the pop server, I get an immediate
disconnection.
> >Are many of you using dovecot, and did you have to configure anything in
> >dovecot.conf or elsewhere to get it to work?  Any changes to Postfix?  (I
> >had working pop and imap (uw) in FC1 before the upgrade and change to
> >dovecot.)
> >

> not tested,
>
> is an other service listening on :110 ?
>
> # lsof -Pi :110
> COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
> xinetd  3273 root    6u  IPv4   3500       TCP *:110 (LISTEN)

I got no output to this (apparently nothing else listening).

> disable pop3, imap in xinetd
>
> # chkconfig ipop3 --list
> ipop3           Ein

Again, nothing returned - ipop is not running.

> # chkconfig ipop3 off

Thus no need to do this - I did it anyway - not found.

> stop cyrus-imap or other services

cyrus-imap was stopped already.  What else might there be to stop that
applies?

> start dovecot
> check var/log/messages

Dovecot startup successful.

> probably you must enable pop3 in /etc/dovecot.conf
> afair
> protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s

The above got me close - After I uncommented the protocols, I could connect,
but not login.  Here's the rest of the ANSWER:

(Note - The conf file says "Default values are shown after each value, it's
not required to uncomment any of the lines.  Exception to this are
paths....")  HOWEVER, I had to uncomment several lines as follows:

1.  Uncomment protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s
2.  Uncomment login = imap (if not already - I can't remember if it was
default-uncommented or I did it.)
3.  Uncomment login - pop3

Now imap and pop are working - THANKS to everyone that helped!!
Squirrelmail was a little "squirrely" in that I had to recreate some of my
folders for some users, but the mail is all there.

Again thanks very much for the help.  Helping newbies helps spread the
utility and fun of Linux!

John Fleming
Indiana