FC2 FTP install (Ben Levin)

Jonathan B. Horen horen at horen.org.il
Sat May 22 20:02:26 UTC 2004

I got some assistance from Jason L Tibbitts about this; here are the steps:

1. Download the "vmlinuz" and "initrd.img" files from one of the many FC/2
    mirrors -- they are located in:

    /2/core/i386/os/isolinux/ (or similar /core/2 location)

    move the files to /boot on your workstation

2. Add the following entry to your grub.conf file:

    title Install FC/2
           root (hd0,0)
           kernel /vmlinuz ramdisk_size=9216
           initrd /initrd.img

    Booting from this kernel/initrd.img combination puts you into the FC
    installer, which enables you to specify an installation using an FTP,
    HTTP, or NFS server.

3. Once you've made your choice, specify the FTP server/source:

    I used the FC2 repository I created on a server where I work -- you
    can find one closer to you geographically, from the Fedora website:

    http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

    The installer then finds the files in on that server in
    /core/2/i386/os/Fedora/base/ (or a similar location) and downloads the
    stage2.img file, then goes for it!  I chose to upgrade my existing FC1
    installation, rather than to perform a clean install -- over my ADSL
    connection (supposedly 1.5Mb/sec), it took two hours to complete -- and
    it worked perfectly when I pressed "Finish" at the end, to reboot my
    workstation.

I hope this helps.  All the best!

--
J O N A T H A N  B.  H O R E N