Upgrade vs Install

Sat May 22 22:26:39 UTC 2004

Hello Jeff,

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 00:09, Jeff Vian wrote:
> A rule of thumb that I learned may years ago when preparing for any task
> is *the rule of the 7 Ps*  (Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor
> Performance), and it has stood me in good stead for a long time
Eheh never heard those rules before, I should tell them to my marketing teacher, he only knows the 4P's one :)

> I find it amusing that most of those who did the new install are absent
> from the discussion (at least with problems), but those who chose to do
> an upgrade are flooding this list.
I second that, but I think there is one think that we should not forget.
Most user do not realize what is the change between kernel 2.4 and 2.6
(only 0.2) and the dispaearing of xfree.... I mean when you do not look
at technics you do not know that, and I think when FC2 came out they
shoudl have warned people a bit more. Why not add a windows before the
install or upgrade selection that explain the possible problems. During
install people tends to read a bit more info, than the ones published on
Web sites.
And it's like the yum upgrade, it is much more dangerous IMHO than most
people think, I personally think that we should not be possible to do
such upgrade through yum.

It was just my 2 Euro cents
Ludo

P.S.: I managed to convince a server owner not to upgrade is server
through yum and do a clean install! Small victory :p
http://www.lubox.com - http://forum.lubox.com
Email Services, How-To (Linux,PHP,...),...
Come have a look, and you can even drop a msg on the forum!
--
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on i686 CPU kernel 2.6.5-1.358
@ 00:26:32 up 1 day, 11:02,  3 users,  load average: 2.15, 2.16, 2.25