gnome alsamixer and gnome sound events

I upgraded from FC1 to FC2. Now the gnome alsamixer doesn't show the sliders so I cant adjust anything. I know the sound is working because I can use the play command to hear .wav files. Has anyone else experienced this. It was working in FC1. Also I no longer have gnome sound events. Wheras this was working in FC1. Xmms also wont produce sound from .wav files. I tried kde and I also dont have kde sound events under that desktop. Whats wrong?

--
Richard Miles
Federal Way, WA