XFree86 gone from Fedora Core? WHY!?

Cesar Cardoso cesarcardoso at gmail.com
Sun May 23 01:17:27 UTC 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004 19:22:51 -0400, William M. Quarles
<walrus at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I don't want an endless discussion, far from it.  People have put forth
> that the central issue here for why XFree86 is no longer part of Fedora
> Core is the license change and some conduct of the now-disbanded core
> team.  If someone could just answer why the license is GPL incompatible
> while the modified BSD license is not, that would be enough for me.

The difference between the original BSD license and the modified BSD
license is that the modified BSD license doesn't have the advertising
clause that made the original license incompatible with the GPL (read
more on http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html). Advertising clauses
make licenses carrying them incompatible with the GPL.

That's why the new David Dawes' XFree86 license is incompatible with
GPL and the modified BSD license is not.