no program associations for RPMs in FC2?!

Is it by design or by accident that there are no program associations for RPM files in FC2? Or is it just a fluke in my installation? Realized this when I tried to install a file by double-clicking it, which was a no go. I just set the association myself, but if this is by design, I don't quite get the point of doing it. Any illumination one way or the other?

ralston