Problems installing Fedora Core 2 on VIA Eden System

Huw Davies huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Sun May 23 10:53:08 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to install FC2 onto a system using a VIA Eden mini-ITX
system. When I boot the installer from CD I get to the screen asking
for the installation type, I press enter and after accessing the CD
some more, the system is reset and this process just keeps on looping.

I've had some discussions about this on a local Linux User Group
mailing list (www.luv.org.au) and one responder suggested I might have
issues with the chip not implementing cmov. However, from
/proc/cpuinfo we have:

[root at music proc]# more cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 9
model name      : VIA Nehemiah
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 999.531
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr mtrr pge cmov mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1992.29

I also ran a little program which does a more explicit test for the
implementation of cmov
and this ran successfully.

Has anyone had success in booting from the FC2 CDs on this hardware? I
had no such problems installing FC1 on exactly the same system.

Huw Davies           | e-mail: Huw.Davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"