Need help with PCMCIA Wireless card Proxim Orinoco Gold 8420-WD

Reinaldo Perez r_perez at charter.net
Sun May 23 12:37:17 UTC 2004

I need some help here finding/selecting the correct drivers for the
Proxim Orinoco Gold 8420-WD wireless card, probably very detailed since
I am fairly new to Fedora Linux.

Environment Info:
I recently installed Fedora with most of the binaries with the main
exception of GNOME since I like KDE. I also installed the kernel
sources since I figure I will need it down the road. But let me warn
you that I usually have problems when I try to compile a kernel since
most of the times I am not sure what I should or should not configure
in the config file.

Computer:
IBM Thinkpad T30 (1024x768 LCD), No Crypto chip, No Blue tooth, 1 Gig
memory, DVD reader, No floppy. Dual boot with WinXP.

Booting to "Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)" initrd is
initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img, in other words, out of the box!!!!

Most everything seems to work with the following exceptions:
a) Synaptics TouchPad will not accept tapping on surface have to use
the buttons.
b) Wireless card is not recognized, and does not seem to work

I edited /etc/pcmcia/config and added the following entries:
card "Agere Systems"
   manfid 0x0156, 0x0003
   bind "orinoco_cs"

DMESG hs the following messages:
Linux Kernel Card Services
Yenta: CardBus bridge found at 0000:02:00.0 [1014:0512]
Yenta: Using INTVAL to route CSC interrupts to PCI
Yenta: Routing CardBus interrupts to PCI
Yenta TI: socket 0000:02:00.0, mfunc 0x01d21022, devctl 0x64
Yenta: ISA IRQ mask 0x04b8, PCI irq 11
Socket status: 30000006
Yenta: CardBus bridge found at 0000:02:00.1 [1014:0512]
Yenta: Using INTVAL to route CSC interrupts to PCI
Yenta: Routing CardBus interrupts to PCI
Yenta TI: socket 0000:02:00.1, mfunc 0x01d21022, devctl 0x64
Yenta: ISA IRQ mask 0x04b8, PCI irq 11
Socket status: 30000006
cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x3b8-0x3df 0x4d0-0x4d7
cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.

There is a driver (in source form) from Agere for this card but its
states it is for Linux 2.4 not 2.6 and because it is from source that
would mean compiling it and installing the sources for pcmcia also and
I do not want to make a mess out of Fedora.

Please help, need to be taken by the hand I am very close to a beginner.

Thanks
Rey