FC2 - strange colours in Mozilla

My Mozilla windows are strangely-coloured
after upgrading from FC-1 to FC-2,
and I don't see how to change them.
The colours are quite pretty -
background is puce, with red text on a yellow sheet -
but it is rather hard to read.

I changed the settings in Edit=>Preferences=>Appearance=>Colors
but this seemed to have no effect,
even after exiting Mozilla and starting it again.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366