Need help with PCMCIA Wireless card Proxim Orinoco Gold 8420-WD

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun May 23 17:48:12 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 08:37, Reinaldo Perez wrote:
> I need some help here finding/selecting the correct drivers for the
> Proxim Orinoco Gold 8420-WD wireless card, probably very detailed since
> I am fairly new to Fedora Linux.

I just went through the wireless driver dance for a D-Link DWL-G650
card.  So I understand your pain. :)  Unfortunately wireless support
under Linux is going to be problematic depending on the particular
wireless card you want to use.

The best suggestion I can make is find out what chip set your card has
then find one of the several driver projects that supports it. In my
case I found that my card had the prism chip set and that the
prism54.org group had the driver that worked for it.  (search the list
for DWL-G650 for how to get this setup)  The setup process was not to
bad.  But it does not integrate this card with the other wireless tools
that come with Fedora as nicely as I would like.  But it does work.

Some of the other driver projects I came across on my quest was the
madwifi and wlang (sp?).  Possibly one of those will support your
wireless card.

I did a google search and found this link that sounds promising.

http://www.greenblaze.com/proxim.html

Sounds like they used yet another chipset in this model card.

Sorry I can not be of more help.
--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>