FC1 + Kernel 2.6.6 boot problem

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 23 18:28:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 02:48:15PM +0100, Robin Bowes wrote:
> Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 14:48:15 +0100 (BST)
> From: "Robin Bowes" <robin-lists at robinbowes.com>
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: FC1 + Kernel 2.6.6 boot problem
>
> On Thu, May 20, 2004 13:13, [=Jorge Boscán Etura=] said:
> >
> > put "vdso=0" at cmdline
> >
> > El mié, 19-05-2004 a las 00:25, K.M.Zammi Kahan escribió:
> >> Hi, I'm running FC1 on my custom made pc and it's working perfectly
> >> with FC1 default kernel. When I installed kernel 2.6.6 and try to
> >> reboot the pc with kernel 2.6.6 after some point ( ..... freeing
> >> kernel memory ...etc) boot process hangs. My pc's configuration is
> >> Intel PIV 1.8 GHz processor, Gigabyte GA-8VM533-P motherboard, Maxtor
> >> hard disk etc. Is this something related to my motherboard? ( I can
> >> see some warning related to bios in the 2.6.6 boot screen). Is there
> >> any workaround to boot my pc in kernel 2.6.6
> >>

> This worked for me too. What does it do, i.e. what does "vdso" stand for?

DaveJones replied to this 05 Apr on fedora-test-list

  "It enables usage of sysenter instruction to enter the kernel
  instead of using int 80h instructions. Sysenter is faster if the cpu
  supports it (quite dramatically so on newer CPUs like P4s)

In the FC2 release notes "vdso" is decoded as "virtual dynamic shared
object" support.  Also see the internals of glibc, ld and the dance
with the kernel at run time to map dynamic shared objects.   Since
this is a case of an old glibc and a new kernel the flag is apparently
needed to put the two on the same page (#include <virtual_page_mapping_joke).

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l