Slashdotted - XP dual boot issue

David McCormick dvdbtty at netscape.net
Sun May 23 19:45:43 UTC 2004

I guess I'm just lucky, I have been dual booting Windos XpPand RH 8.0
FC-1 FC-2 and FC- X86_64 using first LILO and now GRUB.  At this time I
have a triple boot system using grub to boot FC-2 X86_64 and XP-32, and
the beta XP-64 . I have not run across the problems that others are
reporting.  I have XP32 on my sda disk, FC-2 one the sdb disk and XP-64
on the sdc disk with Grub loaded to sda1 mbr partition. I installed
XT-32 first and then FC-2. XP-64 is booted by first booting XP-32 which
gives me a second boot screen with  XP-32 and XP-64 as choices.  Just an
aside XP-64 is just about unusable in its beta form.  It loads drivers
for my ATI900 PRO but not Sound Blaster live 5.1, no printers are
supported, in fact very little is supported other than graphics boards.
MS suggests that you tell the board and printer Manufacturers to get on
the stick.  With the exception of Nautilus crashing every time you start
it and that you can"t set Gnome Screen preferences because that also
crashes every time I start it, I just use KDE instead, I really like the
X86_64 I just wish the 32 bit libs were loaded when its installed so
that I could use a couple of programs that run fine on FC-2 but not FC-2
X86_64.

David