mounting NTFS drives in FC2

Pascal Calarco pcalarco at nd.edu
Sun May 23 21:03:11 UTC 2004

I'm trying Fedora Core after using Mandrake for the last few releases
(which I still really like), so have a couple questions regarding
mounting ntfs drives.  In Mandrake this was very easy with their
'supermount' tool.

First, I did find the kernel-ntfs RPM package from sourceforge, and
applied this.

Next, I edited my /etc/fstab to add the NTFS drives:

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda7               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/hda/hda1           /mnt/win1               ntfs    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdb/hdb1           /mnt/win2               ntfs    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda/sda1           /mnt/sata               ntfs    defaults        0 0

Okay, now when I try to mount these:

[root at localhost root]# mount -a -t ntfs
mount: special device /dev/hda/hda1 does not exist
       (a path prefix is not a directory)

mount: special device /dev/hdb/hdb1 does not exist
       (a path prefix is not a directory)

mount: special device /dev/sda/sda1 does not exist
       (a path prefix is not a directory)

What am I missing?  I have looked at the man pages for both fstab and
mount, and am still puzzeled.  Thanks in advance!

  - pascal