Re: FC2 upgrade confuses dual NIC detection (?kernel problem?)

Richard Conway wrote:

I have upgraded from FC1 to FC2.

I have two ethernet cards which under FC1 are reported as:
device: eth0
driver: tulip
desc: "DEC|DECchip 21041 [Tulip Pass 3]"
device: eth1
driver: tulip
desc: "Accton|EN-1216 Ethernet Adapter"

After the upgrade both cards were marked as eth0, (or in one case after
re-running kudzu eth2 also appeared). In this state they are totally
unusable!

The only way I can get my NICs to be detected correctly is to reboot
into my trusty 2.4 series kernel, (which had fortunately survived the
upgrade).

I diagnose this as being a problem with the FC2 kernel (2.6.5-1.358). Is
anyone aware of such a problem, or is there some extra configuration
required to make this happen with the 2.6 series kernel?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

i had the same problem wit 3 nics, my solution was:

remove (save!) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*

remove in  /etc/sysconfig/hwconf  your nic
eg.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
class: NETWORK
bus: PCI
detached: 0
device: eth0
driver: via-rhine
desc: "VIA Technologies|VT6102 [Rhine-II]"
network.hwaddr: 00:50:BA:xx:xx:xx
vendorId: 1106
deviceId: 3065
subVendorId: 1186
subDeviceId: 1400
pciType: 1
pcibus:  1
pcidev:  1
pcifn:  0
-

and let kudzu do his job again # kudzu

check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* and /etc/modprobe.conf for the correct settings eth0, eth1

-- shrek-m