Hard drive shutdown problem with FC2

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sun May 23 22:47:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 19:39, Rich Fearn wrote:
> Everything boots fine. The system works perfectly. However, when I reboot
> the machine, Fedora seems to be shutting down the hard drives in such a way
> as to make the IDE detection on the next next boot of the machine very slow.
> The BIOS takes a while to detect the IDE devices, and I can hear the smaller
> (IDE) hard drive begin spinning again. When it comes to detecting the SATA
> hard disk, this takes even longer. Eventually, the drives are deemed ready
> and the OS boots as normal. Fedora starts up without any problems and I can
> use the machine again.

<snip>
> Has something in the shutdown sequence changed with Fedora Core 2? Does it
> shutdown the hard disks in a more "severe" way than FC1? Is there an option
> I can specify so that the IDE detection runs at "normal speed" on reboot?

This is expected. According to Alan Cox , the shutdown has been changed
to ensure that the cache of the disks was being flushed. He also
mentioned that some disks respond to the cache flush command by turning
off.
If you want more details , do a search for this subject on the archives
for fedora-test-list and fedora-devel-list.

--
Pedro Macedo