Hard drive shutdown problem with FC2

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sun May 23 22:55:37 UTC 2004

 On Sun, 23 May 2004 23:39:37 +0100
"Rich Fearn" <rich.fearn at btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Everything boots fine. The system works perfectly. However, when I reboot
> the machine, Fedora seems to be shutting down the hard drives in such a way
> as to make the IDE detection on the next next boot of the machine very slow.

This is a feature of the Linux kernel.   The drivers are shut down so
that all data is flushed to disk before power is removed from the drive.
Unfortunately, the kernel doesn't distinguish between shutting down
and rebooting.    The mainline kernel has patches to handle the reboot
case differently and will appear in Fedora at some point.  Be patient.  :o)

Cheers,
Sean