Slashdotted - XP dual boot issue

Marcus Sattler msattler at adelphia.net
Sun May 23 23:38:23 UTC 2004

If they are that worried about Windows you don't HAVE to use GRUB as your
boot loader.  You can use Windows' boot loader.  Simply install linux.
Install Grub on the front of your linux partition, not on /dev/hda1.  To get
back into the install you just built you will need a rescue cd.  Use the
Rescue CD to get into the os.  Create a boot image which needs to go in your
C:\ partition.  Usually I create the image and throw it on an ftp server.
Boot back into windows, edit the boot ini File to point at the image, and
I'm good to go.

I have done this with every one of my dual boots and it runs fine.  It may
be a better approach for the younger/newer windows guys who are afraid of
blowing away their MBR.  Although it really isn't that big of a deal.

Just be nice to one another.

Something else,  don't always jump on the new people who ask an obvious
question.  The Archives can be a PITA to search through sometimes.  And
besides, if they are new enough to ask obvious questions, they may be new
enough to not be able to search the Archives in the same manner we would.

-Marcus