Slashdotted - XP dual boot issue

Mark S Jones msjones773 at hotmail.com
Mon May 24 02:45:55 UTC 2004

>Dan Haines wrote:
>

>>>I dont get it.
>>>
>>>If youre planning on building a house, you need to research how to do it
>>>properly.
>>>
>>>If youre planning on getting a drivers license, in most cases, you need
>>>to research how to do it properly.
>>>
>>>If youre planning on dual booting, you need to research how to do it
>>>properly.
>>>
>>>If these people had researched dual booting, they would have EASILY
>>>found documentation stating that after you apply FC to an already
>>>Windozed machine, you need to edit your bootloader (grub in most cases)
>>>to tell it where Windoze lives.

>>>Youre totally right Marcus.  People just need to be friendly, and
>>>helpful, and give answers when a poor little newbie comes to the list
>>>begging for help with his dual boot machine.  Alot of people start using
>>>linux every day, if the first thing they get when they need help is BAD
>>>attitudes, then thats not going to be helpful for the community, is it?
>>>
>>>But in saying that, those people also need to have a clue, and do a bit
>>>of research first.
>>>

>Bravo Dan!
>
>The frequent attitude of "Please guide me,  I am helpless" is exactly
>what I personally feel is at fault with most of the 'bad attitude'
>
>Overall most of the users on this list do (at least some) research and
>then ask a specific question that is relatively easy to answer.  Those
>who do nothing to help themselves and still ask where the door is, are
>the ones who cause the bad attitude responses.  I feel that anyone
>asking a question on *any* mailing list should follow your guidelines
>and do some advance planning and research on their own.  In most cases
>they can find the answer already given in an earlier discussion, and
>would cut down dramatically on the clutter here.
>
>In defense of those whose attitudes seem bad to some,  It is very tiring
>and frustrating to see the same question asked and answered repeatedly,
>sometimes several times a week.  Compare this list to a school.  Does
>the teacher answer every question?  NO, they guide the student to
>finding the answer.  This is what we should be doing, NOT providing
>*all* the answers for no effort from the one who asks.
>

>Although I want the Linux community to grow, and make a signifigant cut
>into the profits of the monopolist, I want it to do so without breaking
>the willingness to give of the many who support our community.  Whiners
>and cryers who fail to take responsibility and make a personal effort
>can do that.
>

>>If youre planning on building a house, you need to research how to do it
>>properly.

True! but but just because you do research dosen't mean you know how to
build a house.

>>If youre planning on getting a drivers license, in most cases, you need
>>to research how to do it properly.

True! But just because you get a drivers license doesn't mean you know
how to drive

>>If youre planning on dual booting, you need to research how to do it
>>properly.

True! But just because you researched it doesn't mean you know how to
correct every problem you come across.

Maybe because the same question is being asked over and over again is
because the question is not being answered correctly or because a new
person is not acclimated to this list and its search functions, or
cannot find the answer.

If a teacher does not answer every question, I challenge if that is
really a teacher.

Just because someone on this list has some self imposed rules as to what
should be asked, doesn't mean someone should be denied help or a
courteous answer.

If you are not willing to give help or an answer, but instead offer
criticism and sarcasm, you are as guilty of whining and crying as any
windows user on this list.

If you would like to help this list, and you do not feel that you are
obligated to answer any specific questions, please remain silent on
those questions, as the only true purpose of this, or any other list
such as this, is to help people who need help, not to gossip and
proclaim your superiority.
Mark