Printing to a Windows Printer

Clifford Snow glass-art at comcast.net
Mon May 24 03:43:54 UTC 2004

I'm trying to print from FC1 to a Windows shared printer.  A laptop,
also FC1, prints successfully but from a desktop computer it errors out
with:
There was a problem sending CUPS test page to d125xi queue:
lpr: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable

What I've checked so far:
I've verified that the cups daemon is running.
running smbclient -L wincomputer -N
shows the shared printer.

/var/log/cups/error_log does not show any errors - even with
/etc/cups/cups.conf log level changed to debug2.  I don't find errors

Nor are there errors in the windows event viewer.

I've tried using the WINS name as well as the ip address.  (I prefer
using the WINS name since the windows computer is on a dynamic IP
address.)

samba is running - the windows machine can connect to shared public and
user folders.

Any suggestions to solve this problem would be appreciated.

BTW - Previously I used the desktop as the print server.  Switching to
the windows box to do the printing results in much faster printing.
When windows sends a print job to linux, there is a substantial amount
of tcp data traffic.  Printing from linux to windows doesn't have all of
the overhead.  Just an observation, I'm not trying to start a debate.

--
Clifford Snow