netgear router locks up ONLY when downloading fedora??????????????????

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Mon May 24 04:26:52 UTC 2004

It would appear that on May 22, John Aldrich did say:

> On Saturday 22 May 2004 07:38 am, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> >
> > 3) is there a RELIABLE method of downloading such large files that will
> >    ALWAYS resume an interrupted download rather than downloading the same
> >    bytes over again???
> >
> Ever looked at NCFTP? It's a nice non-graphical ftp client (someone may have a
> GUI front-end for it) that comes with most linuxes that I've seen, and if
> not, it's free to download and use. Plus, by default it supports
> auto-complete (tab to complete) and I believe the default behavior is to
> resume file transfers if you reconnect and start to download something you
> already have partially downloaded.
> 	John

Well now thats a thought...

I did use ncftp once or twice. I thought it was ok as an ftp client,
though a bit cumbersome to go find what you don't know where your
getting it from. Hence using browsers to find and retrieve.

I don't think I ever noticed the resume behavior... but I like it!

Once firefox is pointed at the actual list of files I want the url in
the form of [ftp://host.name/directory/] would be in the address box.
Which makes it easy to copy to the clipboard.

Then I can paste the url to a command line: $ ncftp [pasted ftp url]

The rest would not only be easy, But almost fun.

Actually it might be even easier than the wget option that others pointed
out, simply because, whether I'm going to use wget or ncftp, I won't want
to accidentally start downloading with firefox or mozilla while trying to
copy the exact filename to the clipboard. yet getting just the directory
name is easy. Then once ncftp can "ls" the [ftp://host.name/directory/], I
can easily mark the plain text output for pasting into a get command...

Should work for me. Thanks again!

Though I'd still like to know what could be locking up my router?
I don't know enough about how the internet actually works to do more than
wild speculation on it, is it possible that some unkind individuals
wanting to free up some of the bandwidth on a hot download site might
somehow attack existing connections in such a way as to confuse my
router?

- --

   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/  #