FC2 - Xorg + AT Rage problem

Ronald Hawkins ron at stacron.com
Mon May 24 14:24:10 UTC 2004

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>Is anyone running FC2 happily with AT Rage video "card"?
>I've had a lot of problems with this -
>everything else works fine -
>after upgrading from FC1.
>
>I've a temporary solution -
>or rather two -
>firstly, replacing Driver "ati" with Driver "vga" (in xorg.conf),
>and secondly, reducing the default depth to 8.
>
>I've adopted the latter,
>but for some reason have lost the "viewport" facility
>which is very useful with the tiny screen
>on my Sony C1VFK Picturebook.
>
>Incidentally, I found it impossible to file a bug report,
>as I never received email back
>when trying to register with bugzilla.
>
>If anyone does have an ATI Rage card working OK with FC2
>I would be very grateful to hear from them.

I ran into this last weekend.  Only on ours we had a ATI Rage 128 Pro
and another pro with the TV tuner and both exibited the behaviour of
locking up the machine as X started with Garbage at the top 1 inch of
the screen.  The only way I found to get around this was to disable the
DRI option in xorg.conf. then all worked as expected.

hope this helps someone else.

BTW.  I still haven't found how to turn on the TV tuner.