Core2: problems with graphical install

Just tried a graphical install of Core2 on my
laptop. Unfortunately the screen where you are
supposed to select the proper monitor is not readable.
I get a flickering screen with ghost images.

My laptop has a unusual 1024x600 screen. Any way around
this problem?

I am currently trying to get it installed via good old text mode.

Jurgen