Booting in interactive mode

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon May 24 22:59:20 UTC 2004

Matthew Miller wrote:

>On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 10:05:16AM -0500, Marc Mouries wrote:
>

>>I am stuck at the boot at the "Checking new hardware" message
>>and would like to boot in interactive mode.
>>Is it possible to specify to boot in interactive mode
>>in the boot command line argument ?
>>

>Not sure if you can do that from the kernel command line. But you can hit I
>right as the init scripts start to go. Alternately, you can boot into single
>user mode (the command-line argument of '1') and then run '/sbin/chkconfig
>kudzu off' to disable the program which does the new hardware check.

There was an earlier thread that said to append "prompt=yes" to the boot
line to get this to always use interactive. I have never tried it and
did not find the exact thread. (I am also relying on memory for the
exact phrase, but  it appears to be correct)

Also, you can look at /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and in the area where it has:

if [ "$PROMPT" != "no" ]; then
 echo -en $"\t\tPress 'I' to enter interactive startup."
 echo
 sleep 1
fi

you can change the "sleep 1" to some other value like 5 or 10  to allow
more time for pressing the key (this default is 1 second).