converting to grub from lilo [DrDos on hdc1 not booting]

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Tue May 25 09:15:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 03:26:41AM -0400, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> 1)bios lists the masters first, then the slaves?
No. But it can report SCSI hard disks before ATA. Or after. Depends on
your boot order.

> 2)bios lists the harddrives then the cd drives?
BIOS doesn't list cd drives as hard disks .:)

> 3)grub's "hd*" numbering scheme simply skips cd drives? In which case,
>   what does grub call the durned things?

It doesn't call them anything. Grub can't boot from cdroms.

> 4)I'm completely clueless and should just sell my soul back to M$
>   because I'm incapable of understanding anything... <whimper> ;)

Learning is a continuos process. Don't expect to know everything about
stuff you haven't used or examined before.

Anyway, the documentation always helps. (Section "Naming convention" on
grub's info page.)

Regards,
Luciano Rocha