Fedora Core 2 - review.

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Tue May 25 04:37:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 05:33:02PM +0200, Davy Brion wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 15:19, Sean Estabrooks wrote:
> > Say you convert all those proprietary formats over to Linux, well then....
> > why should anyone use Linux?   They already work on Windows.   What is
> > your value proposition?
>
> interoperability... the reason why a lot of companies are getting tired
> of Microsoft is because they don't wanna get locked into using
> technology that only works on Microsoft.  Interoperability is gonna be a
> huge factor for linux in the future... like it or not, but even if
> companies are gonna start using linux, they will almost certainly be
> using windows somewhere in the office as well.  they will also have to
> be able to communicate with other people who are using microsoft
> software.  if linux systems don't focus on being interoperable with
> windows systems, then companies don't really have a reason to switch to
> Linux, no matter how good it is or will become.

Yes, interoperability is key. But I think the straw that will finally break
the camel's back is the fact that many companies and organizations are
getting tired of paying for IT that are overworked from ridding their
networks from viruses rather than doing actual IT. The techs get to stare
at the linux servers in the same rooms every day and know that they never
go down unless they take them down for an upgrade. It is only a matter of
time before the desktop is surrendered to a less virus-prone entity.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca