vmware and SMP kernel?

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Tue May 25 09:45:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 09:41 +0100, Jonathan Rawle wrote:
> Julian Underwood wrote:
>
> > I'm assuming this is all normal and fine.  My problem is when installing
> > vmware, I get to the question:
> >
> > What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> > running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]
> >
> > I don't have the option of pointing it towards
> > /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358SMP, because it doesn't exist!  Just the plain
> > old non-SMP kernel source is there, and vmware doesn't like it.  What
> > would be the easiest way to place my existing kernel source into this
> > /usr/src/ folder?  I've tried using synaptic to install this source, but
> > the SMP source isn't available in synaptic either, just the non-SMP one.
> >

> The same source is for both kernels, SMP and UP. Are you sure your version
> of vmware is new enough to understand 2.6 kernels, with their different
> source trees?
>
> I believe you need vmware 4.5 to run on FC2 - this is availible as a free
> upgrade for registered users of version 4.
>
> Jonathan

First get the free upgrade to 4.5.1 from vmware, then install the
vmware-any-any-update-67.tgz or later from
http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/

Works for me as long as the kernel-source is installed and/or have
properly built/installed a custom kernel before running
vmware-config.pl.  I have seen the claim several times on
fedora-test-list or elsewhere that kernel-source does not have to be
installed to use VMware, but I have yet to see how to make that
configuration work - always end up getting messages about headers not
found or not matching the running kernel.

Phil