Howto upgrade from FC1 to FC2?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue May 25 14:31:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 04:54:51PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2004, Georg Wittig wrote:
> > I want to upgrade my workstation from FC1 to FC2. A clean install isn't
> > an option to me because my FC1 is customized heavily (to re-customize a
> > cleanly installed FC2 would take days for me), and I'm running apt-get
> > with a lot of atrpms additions, too.
> >
> > The list archives didn't reveal much. So my question is, what's the
> > simplest way to upgrade in my situation? I don't think upgrading via the
> > official FC2 isos will work because of all the additional atrpms.
> > Alternatively, I could install rpm, apt-get, and atrpms for FC2 on FC1
> > first, and then "apt-get dist-upgrade". Or is this the wrong way?
>
> Basically there are three options (not in any particular order as each
> have their points):
>
> a) Upgrade with anaconda, upgrade to FC2-apt from atrpms since that's the
> repo you're using and run finish the upgrade with "apt-get dist-upgrade",
> probably with -f to fix any broken dependencies automatically.
>
> b) Remove all 3rd party packages, upgrade with anaconda and reinstall 3rd
> party packages afterwards
>
> c) Upgrade directly with apt (or yum). Have a look at the yum upgrade
> guide for hints what you need to take care of manually in this case,
> it largely applies to apt as well:
> http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/misc/fc1-fc2-yum-hints.txt
> AFAIK atrpms apt doesn't have the necessary magic to upgrade kernels
> automatically

I hope it will soon have the magic (looking beggingly towards Panu ;)

> so that's going to cause some extra steps (you'll probably have to
> first install a new kernel manually). One important point here:
> before you start the upgrade do

> # echo 'RPM::Order "true";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

Interesting, why isn't this the default?

> That'll ensure that the packages get upgraded in the order RH intended
> them to.

If you do upgrade via apt, I would recommend to do an apt-get upgrade
first and then an apt-get dist-upgrade. My experience with RH9->FC1
was that some packages would break the dist-upgrade, which were been
held back with the simple upgrade. So upgrading 95% with "upgrade",
checking with "dist-upgrade" about the rest, possibly "install"ing
manually some packages and finishing with "dist-upgrade".

I'd install & boot kernel & glibc with "install" command first, then
rpm/apt/python/yum next and then start the "upgrade"/"dist-upgrade"
game.

Note that the new kernel will number your network devices differently,
so networking might break on your way from 2.4 to 2.6.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net