Fedora Core 2 - Can't get mail, download or browse web pages

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 25 20:20:14 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 03:47:25AM -0500, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
> > Am Do, den 20.05.2004 schrieb Steven P. Ulrick um 10:02:
> >
> > > Hello, Everyone :)
> > > I looked through my complete Fedora list archives, in addition to
> > > checking Bugzilla, and I've found nothing about this problem, so
> > > here goes.
> > > I had this problem yesterday, but for safety's sake, I did a fresh
> > > install of Fedora Core 2 just to make sure I didn't hose something
> > > after my original install.
> > > Here's the problem: to all appearances, I can (using Kppp) connect
> > > to the internet like always have.  I even can "connect" at the
> > > speeds that I usually connect at (45333 and 49000)  Problem is, I
> > > cannot load any web pages (I've tried Konqueror, Mozilla and Lynx)
> > > or get my mail(Sylpheed)
> >
> > > Steven P. Ulrick
> >
> > echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
> >
> > and I am sure your internet connection will work immediately.
> >
> > Add to /etc/sysctl.conf
> >
> > # Setting ECN off
> > net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0
> >
> > and run "sysctl -p" to activate that setting permanent.
> >
> > Alexander
>
> Hello, Everyone :)
> Thanks to all who gave me help that was variations of the above.
> Unfortunately, this did not touch the problem.

Can you outline the sequence of events from booting a machine,
connection to the ISP, browser failure.

This problem is with a plain old telephone modem on
a PCI card -- right?

You should be able to boot and not have the modem dial or connect.
You should be able to connect to localhost.  if apache is installed
you will get the default page at http://localhost.localdomain

We should inspect the output of:
       ifconfig
       netstat -r
       dig redhat.com
       cat /etc/resolv.conf
       cat /etc/hosts
       cat /etc/networks  # should be absent just checking...
       locate ifcfg-
       hostname
       domainname
       cat  /selinux/enforce
       grep SELINUX  /etc/sysconfig/selinux

Next you should dial and connect to the ISP.  BE specific which tool
you use and place the dial tool in debug/verbose mode if you can and
report how you set it up.  DHCP should assign an IP address and a name
for that link.  It is a good thing to place markers in the system
logs thus:
       logger ReadyReadyReadyReadyReadyReadReady
       logger DialingDialingDialingDialingDialing
       logger ConnectingConnectingConnectingConnecting
       logger ConectEDConectEDConectEDConectEDConectED
       logger StartMozillaStartMozillaStartMozillaStartMozilla
       logger EndTestEndTestEndTestEndTestEndTest

Share with the group all the /var/log/messages stuff from "Ready*" to
"EndTest*" and prune all the other stuff out.

       ifconfig should change to show the connection
       netstat -r should show a new route via the modem.
       dig redhat.com
       resolv.conf should be updated.
       hostname should reflect the connection
       domainname might change.
       locate ifcfg-

Do check the broadcast address and netmask.  Some subnet stuff is easy
to get wrong.   When the broadcast address or net mask is broken lots of
stuff can break.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l