Building a 2.6.6 kernel

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue May 25 20:29:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Geoffrey Leach wrote:

> What follows is a short course on building your own kernel ...

>     o Go to ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/2.6 and download the
>       latest kernel source.  This may or may not be the same thing as
>       found in the kernel-source-2.6.x rpm (when it becomes available),
>       depending on whether or not it was build with patches.

almost guaranteed it's not going to be the same as the source RPM from red
hat, since red hat applies their own patches, IIRC.

also, if you want to be right on top of things, you could also download
the absolute latest patch from kernel.org as well, if you're going that
route.

>     o Unpack the kernel source file into /usr/src/linux.

no, no, no ... :-)  dump it in your home directory somewhere, so you can
configure and build it as a regular user -- there's no need to put it in
/usr.  you might need root privilege to *install* it at the end, but as
much as possible, try to avoid using the root account if you don't have
to.

also, if you keep stuff like that out of /usr, you retain the possibility
of being able to mount /usr *read only* for safety and security!  and only
remounting it RW for short periods of time when you need to install
something new.  just my personal preference.

rday