BIOS won't boot to CD-ROM: Workaround

Vladimir G. Ivanovic vladimir at acm.org
Tue May 25 20:59:21 UTC 2004

I don't know if this would help in your case, but I followed the
directions given in

   http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~colohan/docs/fedora_upgrade.html

to upgrade without a floppy or a CD-ROM drive. Basically it involves
copying the isolinux directory on the first CD to your /boot directory,
pointing grub at it and then rebooting. Of course you need to get all
four iso files onto your ancient machine ... somehow (ftp, nfs, scp,
wget, ...).

--- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir at acm.org
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014

    cc>
    cc> I ran into a small problem trying to install FC2 on an ancient machine
    cc> (it was surplused out by the Romans when they left Britain...). FC2
    cc> doesn't come with floppy images for installing, and the BIOS on this
    cc> thing won't boot to CD-ROM, only hard drive or floppy.
    cc>
    cc> I tried faking it out by booting from a mess-dos partition with
    cc> loadlin, but loadlin didn't like the kernel; something about the
    cc> compression type.
    cc>
    cc> However, I did find an elegant little workaround: install Smart Boot
    cc> Manager on a floppy. It booted the CD-ROM
    cc> nicely. http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/
    cc>
    cc> Enjoy!
    cc>
    cc> Could future releases include, or refer to, Smart Boot Manager for
    cc> this purpose?
    cc>
    cc> --
    cc>
    cc> Charles Curley                  /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
    cc> Looking for fine software       \ /    Respect for open standards
    cc> and/or writing?                  X     No HTML/RTF in email
    cc> http://www.charlescurley.com    / \    No M$ Word docs in email
    cc>
    cc> Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0  809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB
    cc> --
    cc> fedora-list mailing list
    cc> fedora-list at redhat.com