Howto type the euro sign and other special chars from a US keyboard?

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Wed May 26 01:18:45 UTC 2004

Patrick

> Does someone know how in X on an FC2 box I can type a Euro sign or
> o+umlaut from a US keyboard? It seems xmodmap may be usefull but don't
> really understand what to do with it if anything.

With xmodmap you can change what symbol is produced from a given key. If
you just want to enter a symbol you can hold down ctrl-shift and type
the unicode number of the character in hex. eg.

euro ctrl-shift-2-0-a-c
sterling ctrl-shift-a-3
o umlaut ctrl-shift-f-6

You can use the character map from the accessories menu to look up
characters and codes.

There are probably other ways...

-Cam