FC 2 and smb mounts

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Wed May 26 03:41:00 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:

>>Paul R. Ganci wrote:

>>>I just had the same thing occur:
>>>
>>>May 22 08:57:11 mcduff kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
>>>dereference at virtual address 00000000
>>><snip>
>>>

>>This problem disappeared after I did a reboot when attempting to fix
>>some unrelated issue. I have no idea why, but I am not going to look a
>>gift horse in the mouth.
>>

>Same problem here.  Setup an smb mount point.  At first it appeared to
>work as expected.  I had full access to the share.  Then it stopped
>working.  Not sure what changed.  Have rebooted a few times but no
>change in the problem.  The mount appears to execute correctly but when
>I try to ls the directory it hangs.  At that point it is impossible to
>kill the ls process or umount the share.

Well I thought this problem went away, but after running the system over
the weekend I found that this problem is intermittent. Sometimes the
mount works maybe for several hours and then  wham ...  Other times the
problem occurs immediately after doing the mount. I found that only a
reboot fixes the problem. Monday I downloaded samba-3.0.4-2 from
samba.org and installed it and so far have not experienced this problem.
I have been connected to the samba share for over 24 hours now with no
ill effects. This is a first since I upgraded from FC1 to FC2. Hopefully
I haven't spoken too soon as I did last time I thought the problem went
away.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)