Re: FC2 and SMP-Kernel does it work ?

Chadley Wilson wrote:
> Sorry to butt in here!
> I have seen much on the topic and used the smp kernel on many laptops.
> But
> What is an smp kernel for?

Symmetric Multi-Processing (or occasionally Symmetric Multi Penguins
if it's running Linux). It enables the computer to make use of more than
one processor.

It also enables the computer to make use of Hyperthreading / SMT
processors, since they appear to the OS much like separate processors.

A SMP kernel should work on single processor systems. It may be less
efficient, but I doubt you'd notice without timing it.

For more information, see Google.

HTH,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | For every complex problem, there is a solution that
westexe.demon.co.uk    | is simple, neat, and wrong.