C IDE...

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed May 26 14:03:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 08:54:21AM +0200, MG wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Can anybody write an console IDE for C which runs under FC1/FC2?
> I tried the rhide1.5, but I could not start it. It wrote "segment error". :(

You already have one. Emacs.

Issue 98: Emacs: the Free Software IDE
Posted on Saturday, June 01, 2002 by Charles Curley

"'Many people waited a long time to have nice IDEs for Linux. While
everyone else waited I just used Emacs.'
-- Thanyne Harbaugh, President, Provo Linux Users Group

"Emacs is well known as an editor, but calling Emacs an editor is like
calling the Queen Mary a boat. The source RPM for Emacs 21.1 is some
20MB--huge for an editor. You don't have to use all of it, but
sometimes it's nice to know it's there.

"Emacs is heavily customizable, which makes it very flexible. For
example, I am writing this article with Emacs and will spell check it
with Emacs. ``Well'', I hear you saying, ``if it's good for writing
articles, it can't be very good for developing software.'' That's
where Emacs' flexibility and customization come in; you can use it for
either or for something completely different. Want to see a shrink,
play Tetris or manipulate dates in the Mayan calendar? Emacs."