Eth0 performance

Doug Brott brott at redh.com
Wed May 26 14:42:22 UTC 2004

Tim and Alison wrote:

> I use a router to connect to the Internet via broadband. My PC is due
> boot win98 (the wife) and currently FC2 for me.  Since I have upgraded
> to FC2 from FC1 my browser performance has slowed.  Some times it
> feels like I am using a k56 modem.  If we use Win 98 or WinXP from my
> work laptop through the same connection we get great performance.
> Is this a know problem in 2.6.5 or a configuration problem?
>
> Help please
>
> Tim

If you are experiencing SLOW network access, it could be due to the fact
that you are running IPv6.
An easy way to disable this is to modify /etc/modprobe.conf to include
the following line:

alias net-pf-10 off

You will need to reboot, but it solved the problem for me.  I have
Comcast cable Internet, and prior to upgrade to FC2, I was seeing >
3Mb/s download rates.  After the upgrade to FC2, I was seeing around
1.2Mb/s download rates.  Obviously, this was unacceptable.

Turns out IPv6 was enabled in my configuration and the added line to the
modprobe.conf file fixed my network speed issues.  By disabling IPv6, I
was able to get back to what I expected to be the true bandwidth.

Hopefully this note will help othere who may experience the same problems.

Regards.

--
Doug Brott
brott at redh dot com