feedback to NVidia [was: Nvidia Drivers]

Frank Tanner III pctech at mybellybutton.com
Wed May 26 14:58:32 UTC 2004

--- Rui Miguel Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 09:16 -0500, -=Brian Truter=-
> wrote:
> > The way I see it is, when I bought my Nvidia card,
> it did not say Linux was
> > supported, I bought it anyways. I don't see how
> that gives me the right to
> > demand support like he keeps saying.
>
> So you admit you're completely and utterly in the
> dependence of _some_
> goodwill that's not even, apparently as you say, put
> on paper by NVIDIA.
>
> How is that good, come again?
>
> I care about having _real_ support for the hardware
> I buy.
> That can only be achieved by hardware specification
> or Free Software
> drivers provided by the hardware vendor.
>
> Rui

There's where your mistaken.  REAL Support does NOT
equal Open Source drivers for your hardware.  REAL
support means that when things do not function
PROPERLY they get fixed and function PROPERLY.

The nVidia card is function EXACTLY like it is
supposed to.  The drivers work perfectly well in
Linux.  There are breakages due to the new kernel
memory space change, but that will be solved.  And
there *IS* a work-around for it in the meantime.  So I
will give you that, but drivers almost never work 100%
when you're performing a MAJOR underlying OS upgrade.
Open Source or Close Source.

I am a computer network engineer by trade.  I use the
BEST tools at my disposal.  Whether they be Open
Source or proprietary.  I don't say, "Well, I can't
use this tool because I haven't seen the source code
for it."  I say, "Here I ahve this array of tools at
my disposal.  Which one would be the best for the
function I am trying to perform?"

You remind me of a kid that doesn't get his way so
he's going to kick and shout and scream until he gets
his own way.  Grow up.  The world doesn't revolve
around your ideals, or mine.  No amount of crying
about it is going to MAKE anyone do what you want.
Get over it.  You want Open Source drivers for the
nVidia cards.  Write them yourself.  That's how Open
Source evolved.  People needed something they couldn't
get elsewhere so they did it themselves.

=====