Install: crc error on bootup

pheuque at web.de pheuque at web.de
Wed May 26 15:30:37 UTC 2004

When installing FC2 the bootup process (i.e. boot from CD) hangs and I get:
RAMDISK: ...
crc error
VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown block (72,3)
Kernel panic: ....

Btw I get a similar error message when trying to run SuSE's LiveCD 9.1. There I get:
RAMDISK: compressed image found at block 0
RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 != 32768) 65536000
crc error
VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown block (8,5)
Kernel panic: ....

The install media is okay (I get it with the 1st CD as well as with the rescue
CD), so is the memory (memtest86 does not find any errors).

RH 9.0 / SuSE 8.1 install runs without problems, so it looks like a problem
with the 2.6.x kernel or something like it.

Any ideas what to do? (Apart from keeping 2.4.x kernel based systems)

Thanx in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

P.S.: Hardware is an Athlon XP 2000 with an ASRock KT7V2 (VIA KT266A) with
512 MB of RAM.