Hang after enabling swap space

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Wed May 26 16:26:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:47:40 -0500
"Miroslav Halas" <fedora at bastafidli.com> wrote:

> could you please help me with this problems. We have several
> computers running Fedora Core 1. All of them were working perfectly
> for some time (several months). Then last week two of them stopped
> booting. They start booting and then stop after message Enabling swap
> space. All the computers have the same fixed configuration running just
> plain Fedora with one custome application. After analyzing user's
> behaviour we think it may have something to do with use of USB key.
> Our users plug in USB key to transfer some data. The only commong
> behaviour we could identify was that if the users removed the key during
> shutdown or sometimes plugged it in during startup it rendered the
> computer unbootable.

Hi Miroslav,

Don't know what the issue might be that caused this.   In order to get going you
can modify the /etc/fstab on the computer to comment out the swap entries.
This should let you boot without enabling swap.   Then you can do some testing
to see why there is a problem enabling swap and recover any data.

To edit the /etc/fstab file, boot from rescue mode of CD1 and mount the drive.
Or you could modify the boot line, adding "init=/bin/sh"  which will get you to
a command prompt without mounting swap devices.   (you may have to do
"mount / -oremount,rw" to make the filesystem writable before editing
the /etc/fstab)

Good Luck,
Sean

P.S.  when posting, please end each line around 70 characters and don't use HTML.