FC2 ate my system

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Wed May 26 16:30:26 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 17:10, Brant Barney wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 07:46, Jeremy Brown wrote:
> > Roy Brown wrote:
> >
> > > PS: this is an amazingly bad bug to let into a release.  Is there
> > > going to be a "fixed" version of FC2?
> >
> > Doubtful.
> >
> > > I would have thought that a bug this bad would have warranted pulling
> > > the release until it was fixed.  It doesn't just not install, it
> > > screws up your system.  Was this problem in FC2T3 or was it introduced
> > > in the final release?
> >
> >  From what I've heard, it's been around for a while.  I echo your
> > sentiment; Fedora is quickly losing credibility with bugs like this one
> > and the Asus motherboard issue.
>
> Not to mention the nasty Java dead lock bug
> (http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-May/msg00645.html). It's really unfortunate because FC1 was so good, but I've had nothing but problems with FC2, so I'm currently looking for another distro.
>
>  -Brant
I would just like to mention that i am having no problems with it on my system, with regards to stability or any thing else.

I have also got duel boot working with out any problems as well.
Admittedly this is not on an asus motherboard, but the point is it does
work, and this is not affecting every one.

May be people that have "trashed their windows install" should have read
the release notes before jumping in head first with both feat (however
contorted one must get to end up like that).

The only thing that may have been nice is if there was a way to detect
the main board during the install (before grub gets installed), and
warns the user. But that's more of a nicety then a necessity...

doug