Laptop/Notebook support

lwj wayne at zkcelltest.com
Wed May 26 19:40:35 UTC 2004

> Is anyone considering working on a 2.4 / APM based release that would
> support the notebooks and laptops that are not really usable with Fedora
> as it stands?
>
> -Cam

Many new laptops do not support APM. I am using an HP ze4365us, no APM.
I had almost everything working under FC1, except suspend. I never tried
to use the modem.

The support under FC2 should be even better because the 2.6 kernel
supports ACPI; however, I believe that many of the drivers still need to
be updated support the different types of suspend (at least that's what
I read a while back.) I have not had a chance to configure ACPI, I
somehow lost my scripts during the upgrade.

Pavilion ze4365us:

ATI Radeon Mobility -- working

USB                 -- working

Audio (ALi M5451)   -- Working

Modem               -- Recognized, driver installed, not tested

Ethernet (DP83815)  -- working

Synaptics Touchpad  -- Working (needed to install driver)

Wifi (Atheros AR5212) -- Working (madwifi -- sf)
This was an upgrade. Original Wifi worked under FC1 out of the box
(Prism)

Firewire            -- Recognized, driver installed, not tested

PCMCIA		    -- Recognized, driver installed, not tested
PCMCIA did not work under FC1 even though it was recognized. I have seen
messages that indicate that this is a bug in the drivers but I have not
had a pressing need to trouble shoot this yet ...

Power Management:

CPU power control appears to be working. This is different the FC1 and I
have not had time to figure it all out yet; however, it works to one
extent or another right out of the box.

Suspend to RAM/DISK: I have not really had time to work with this.
Initial attempts to suspend to disk did not work, I probably need to do
something. I was under the impression that suspend to disk worked better
than suspend to RAM because of driver issue, at least with ACPI4Linux at
sf. I think the 2.6 ACPI is based on this?