CDRW Slower Under FC2 Than FC1

I have a Cyber Drive CW099D CD burner, about a year old
(http://www.cyberdrive.com/products.asp?Product=CW099D). Under FC1, it
would burn at its rated speeds of 52x or 24x. With FC2, it insists on
running at about 4x. I found the same problem under Mandrake 10, which
also has a 2.6 kernel. Suggestions?