FYI KVM

Robert Keeney brassrlk at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 22:50:53 UTC 2004

Dwaine Castle wrote:
> I've asked several KVM vendors if they support Fedora.  So, far I've only
> received one response.  A bit terse, but very clear.
>

> Hi,
> The KVM3004 does not support Fedora.
> Thanks
>
> Zonet USA Tech Support
> email: zonet_tech at zonetusa.com
> Zonet USA Corp
>

> Thank you.
> Dwaine

I currently own three diffrent switches and have used several at work.
Avocent KVM switches are the best I have ever seen. Their rackmount
switches don't have a reset switch or front panel controls. They are
designed to mount in the sides of the rack completely out of the way.
The first time I installed one I was concerned about this because I was
installing them in Dell racks in the side of the rack where I would have
to remove the cover and remove power to reset them. It never had one
problem.

Here is the one I use at home:
http://www.avocent.com/web/en.nsf/Content/SwitchView+SC

Note the Linux Tested graphic on the page.

It's the best four port KVM Switch I have ever seen. It takes power from
the keyboard port. Mine locked up on me once while I was playing with
drivers and I had to uplug everything to get it to reset.

Avocent cables are really good too.

After using many diffrent models of belkin switches I have decided that
they are junk. If they were free you might get me to take one.