Playing DVDs

Paul L. Allen paul.l.allen at boeing.com
Thu May 27 00:28:26 UTC 2004

Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic - Java System Software - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> I'm sure this has been asked several times already...
>
> What's the best way to play DVDs in Core 2? I've tried the xine rpm from
> freshrpms.net but ran into dependency problems (aalib, libxine,
> xine-lib) and I haven't been able to find these for Core 2.
>
> If you have DVD play working, please respond!

The VideoLAN project's vlc 0.7.1 player installs for me on FC2.  The
RPM's relevant to FC2 are at:

     http://download.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.7.1/rpm/rh9-fc2/vlc/

They've got binary, src, and -devel packages there.  I downloaded all
of the binary packages, updated the stuff that was already installed
with "rpm -Fvh *.rpm" and then manually went through the list of
packages that the vlc rpm depended on until the vlc package itself
installed without complaint.  There was one package from the VideoLAN
site that was older than something I had already installed, so I left
it alone.  There was another package that complained some other package
depended on the original FC2 version of the package.  I just forced the
newer one to install.  (What, you see torpedoes???  :-) )

The end result is that vlc runs and can play movies.  This little
Dell D400 hasn't got a DVD player, so I can't actually try playing
an actual DVD.  I tested with a great mpeg documenting the 1984 launch
of the UOSAT-2 satellite.  (What fun!)  All of the libdvd* packages
installed OK, so I presume the thing will play DVD's as well as 0.7.0
does on my other systems.  There's an 0.7.2 version out, but binaries
for RedHat/Fedora have not been prepared yet.

Enjoy!

Paul Allen
--
Boeing Phantom Works                   \ Paul L. Allen, (425) 865-3297
Math & Computing Technology              \ paul.l.allen at boeing.com
POB 3707 M/S 7L-40, Seattle, WA 98124-2207 \ Prototype Systems Group