ATI Radeon 7000 and DRI

Ed Gurski ed at gurski.com
Thu May 27 12:44:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 07:53, Alan wrote:

> > I have a Radeon 7000 card on an Athlon system with a SiS motherboard.
> >
> > I installed Fedora Core 2 on it.  X worked all through the install.
> >
> > When I rebooted the system, the screen goes black and the system hangs.
> > (Or at least X goes into a state I cannot get out of without a hard
> > reboot.)
>
> Can't you get to a text console with Ctrl-Alt-F1 ?
>
> I'm interested because I have an ATI Rage Mobility P/M card
> in my Sony C1VFK which will only work at DefaultDepth 8.
> Otherwise I get a black screen gradually shrinking to a white screen -
> but I can always get to a text console.
>
> > If I comment out the dri line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, it works fine, but
> > I do not get hardware acceleration.
>
> I tried this, but it had no effect in my case.
>
> It seems to me the Xorg "ati" driver is less than perfect.

I have a Dell Latitude with an ATI Mobility Radeon that has the same
problem. My workaround, is to get to a command prompt, logon as a user
and then issue the startx command. Then I get the GUI without problems.

I am not sure why this works, but it's a workaround.

I did try commenting out the dri line but still had the same issue.

This laptop had no problems with FC1