Does VMWare work completely on Fedora?

Paul Chauvet chauvetp at newpaltz.edu
Thu May 27 13:31:34 UTC 2004

> VMWare users:  Just be aware that VMWare doesn't officially support
> Fedora *at all*, so any kind of support you get will have to be from
> their community support site, their newsgroups, or here.  Keep it in
> mind.  Hopefully VMWare will see the error of their ways ;) and start
> officially supporting Fedora soon.
>
> That said, Core-1 seems to work fairly well, but there are definitely
> problems with Core-2.  You must boot the kernel with vdso=0 and the
> switch to Xorg from Xfree definitely wreaks havoc with their 'vmware
> tools' installer and configuration scripts.  You might have better luck
> using a working core-1 image and running the core-2 upgrade install.
>
> Patrick

This is exactly what I did.  I already had Core 1 and VMWare installed.
I upgraded to Core 2 and have had no problems whatsoever with VMWare
since (other then a warning that the 2.6 kernel is not officially
supported).

Paul Chauvet
UNIX & Linux Systems Administrator
State University of New York at New Paltz