FC2: ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP

Folks

A few problems; I'm not sure they're independent.

During initial bootstrap, I see the messages

 ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP

and later

  abpart: Unsupported Intel chipset (device id 1237)

And the Ethernet controller doesn't work (with a message "check cable")

The machine in question is
 Dell Workstation 400 MT
 The Ethernet "lights" are showing on both ends of the connection.

When FC1 was installed, I had to turn kudzu off because it screwed up the ethernet controller (documented in the archives), so I tried that approach in FC2 as well, but it doesn't help.

It has Fedora core 2 loaded from CDROM -- no updates yet because the ethernet controller isn't responding.

Any clues?

David