FC2: ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP

david david at daku.org
Thu May 27 17:14:49 UTC 2004

At 09:54 AM 5/27/2004, you wrote:
>On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 17:23, david wrote:
> > Folks
> >
> > A few problems; I'm not sure they're independent.
> >
> > During initial bootstrap, I see the messages
> >
> >   ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP
>
>Hmm, looks like your system doesn't support ACPI.
>Which makes sense for an old box.
>
> >    abpart: Unsupported Intel chipset (device id 1237)
>
>Ah, thats an ancient 440FX chipset.  Which doesn't have AGP iirc.
>lspci -vv output please. (as root).
>It should be just ignoring devices which don't have AGP, and I sent
>some patches to Linus just this afternoon that should fix this
>scenario, so they'll turn up in a Fedora kernel update soon too.
>
> > And the Ethernet controller doesn't work (with a message "check cable")
> >
> > The machine in question is
> >   Dell Workstation 400 MT
> >   The Ethernet "lights" are showing on both ends of the connection.
>
>What ethernet controller is it ? (Again, the lspci output will be needed
>for this).
>
>         Dave

Dave:
Yah, an old machine.  Although I am prepared to go out and buy a new cheap
crash-and-burn system, I'd like to postpone that for as long as possible.

Some clarifications:
The machine has two ethernet controllers.  The first one (the 3com 3c905)
is used as eth0, and was configured to be my external link.  As I mentioned
earlier, that card worked in FC1 after turning kudzu off.

The second (realtek) is currently unused; the machine is a crash-and-burn
version of a future gateway, hence the two NICs.

Also, I run command line only (no graphics).

Enclosed is the lscpi -vvx output as an attachment

David